Monday, December 29, 2014

Calming Lavender



Lavender is loved and renowned for it's calming properties.This beautiful purple herb is easily grown in containers. When starting your own vertical or container garden, why not add Lavender to the mix?

Lavender not only helps calm and sooth your senses, it also keeps insects at bay. Pluck a few Lavender flowers, crush, and rub along your arms and legs while sitting outside for a natural insect repellant. You will have to watch for bees though, as they actually love the scent of Lavender as much as we do. To make an insect repellent spray, mix Lavender flowers and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Allow to sit and infuse for 2 weeks, shaking daily. Applying the mixture to places where you have already been bitten can also soothe the itch and irritation. 





One of my favorite uses for Lavender is adding it to a sachet and sewing into a loved doll or stuffed animal. The calming herb does wonders to gently soothe a child and help them drift of peacefully to sleep. These sachets are also great to add to drawers, closets, or just to keep nearby for any time that you need a moment to relax. Get creative in how you use them.
I like to plant my Lavender near my entryways and windows so I can always enjoy a calming moment before I walk in the door, or before I leave out into this hectic world. I use Nancy Jane stacking planters to mix my Lavender with other herbs like Mint, Parsley, or Cilantro. I also use a Woolly Pocket for stand alone Lavender in my vertical garden designs.
You can find both of these planters and so many more on our website,

What do you love to use Lavender for? 




No comments:

Post a Comment